What's new

Anyone gotten Miracast to work?

Fat City

I have a Toshiba smart TV with built-in Miracast that works well with several Android phones and tablet, but my SP4 (i5/8GB/256GB) never detects it. The SP4 has the latest sw/fw updates, and very little other added software except Kaspersky AV and Office 2013. I've messed with the firewall, wireless adapter settings, etc. without any results.

After searching the web, I haven't seen any clear evidence of successful casting from the SP4. Does it actually support Miracast?

TIA

unni

For me, it works without any issues (except occasional brief black screen) with Microsoft wireless display adapter.

OP
F

Fat City

unni, thanks for your info.
I wonder if anyone has gotten it to work with a non-Microsoft product on the other end?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I use it daily connecting to the Microsoft Wireless Adapter, Netgear PTV3000 and ScreenBeam Plus....

OP
F

Fat City

I've read about problems with Miracast compatibility, maybe my Toshiba is a victim of that.
I assume all models of the SP4 use the same Marvell Avasar wireless chipset so can't be what's different.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just attempted to connect to my Sony tv's inbuilt miracast, no go. Connects fine, but just a blank screen. Using the WDA however works just fine.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read about problems with Miracast compatibility, maybe my Toshiba is a victim of that.
I assume all models of the SP4 use the same Marvell Avasar wireless chipset so can't be what's different.
Agreed many implementations in TVs are only compatible with Android devices probably because they all borrowed the same free crappy code.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Most TV implementations of Miracast use white lists on what devices are compatible and if the device isn't on the white list it won't work correctly as the TV won't complete the handshake.

I have a Toshiba smart TV with built-in Miracast that works well with several Android phones and tablet, but my SP4 (i5/8GB/256GB) never detects it. The SP4 has the latest sw/fw updates, and very little other added software except Kaspersky AV and Office 2013. I've messed with the firewall, wireless adapter settings, etc. without any results.

After searching the web, I haven't seen any clear evidence of successful casting from the SP4. Does it actually support Miracast?

TIA

Regular cast from my i5 SP4 to a MS WiFi adapter plugged into the MHL port on my Dell U3415-W monitor, to a 40" Visio in my bedroom, to a 51" LG in my living room and to a Philips in the hotel room on the road. No problems on all though I wish the 1920x1080 FHD were 60Hz and not 30.