What's new

Any difference (feeling) between SP2 and SP3 pens?

Nil Edwin

Good night dear forum users.

During a unboxing video of Surface Pro 3, I realized that the pen requires a small internal battery that goes just inside the box.
I wonder then what should be the difference between SP2 and SP3 pens.
Is there any significant improvement in the new version?

If yes, is there any pen sold separately which could provide better results as in SP3?

Ps: this is the video [video=youtube;uXU63V1O2eE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXU63V1O2eE[/video]

Thank you!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP2 is a Wacom Digitizer and the SP3 is a n-Trig Digitizer, completely different technology and completely incompatible with each other. Other n-Trig Tablets - Sony DUO 13, Acer R7 (these are the newer ones), Fujitsu Q702 as well as some older tech......

pbaird

I looked at a demo unit in Houston. The pen for the 3 is Metal with a plastic tip. I found it to feel more "solid", like a real pen would. Also, the fact that the glass is so thin and there isn't any lag produces a "smoother feeling", or experience, when you write. So yes, I found it to be quite a bit different feeling, and in my opinion an improvement over the plastic one (which I already liked)

CrippsCorner

Is there any worry of scratching the screen if you press either of the pens down too hard? I never really use mine but it does bother me a bit!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The only time I've seen the pen scratch a screen is when something like a dirt particle ends up between the tip and the screen while writing. I ink all the time and haven't scratched a screen since 2009.....

pbaird

I agree with jnjroach. Also, on the demo pro 3 I used, the pen was responding to pressure when I wrote in OneNote. The harder I pressed, the fatter the line. So they are expecting us to use varying amounts of pressure, which means it better be hard to scratch.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP3 has better edge performance, N-trig always has had better edge performance than Wacom. The Pen feels like a high quality writing instrument on the SP3 where the SP2 felt like a Bic Pen....I spent some more time playing with the Pen today at the MS Store, it is a note takers dream, artist will need to adjust or stick with Wacom....

CrippsCorner

Man you can't beat a Bic Medium! My favourite pen ever... but I must admit quality wise the Surface Pro 3 pen looks really nice, hopefully I'll get to try it some time.