What's new

Any changes you'd like to see?

CrippsCorner

The Studio is an exciting product for sure... but I won't be picking one up as the product's simply not for me. There is something that could have made it a must buy though, and that would be if it were 'just' a monitor.

What I mean is instead of having the computer below the screen, you could actually place your Surface Pro/Book there and power it from that instead. Then you'd have an awesome monitor and chassis but with the portability as well.

It has, by the way, been confirmed that the monitor cannot be used this way.

Anyone else like to see this or anything else done differently?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, I agree with you completely. they need to make this a standalone monitor. My usage is not enough to justify a whole new cmoputer, but to be able to just have a moniter with that touch screen and flexibility, it would be brilliant for inking mindmaps etc (I find the surface screen too small and you either have to zoom out till you cant read anything, or only have a fraction of your mind map on the screen).

Maybe a 3rd party OEM like Dell will take o that product, I certainly hope someone will. I've never seen the point of touch screen desktop monitors until I saw the studio with it's hinges.

mmc

Since I have one on order, the changes or improvements I most want to see is software support for the dial. I want Microsoft and 3rd parties to embrace the hell out of it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Since I have one on order, the changes or improvements I most want to see is software support for the dial. I want Microsoft and 3rd parties to embrace the hell out of it.
Here is the list so far -

Here are all the apps that work with the Surface Dial

apps that work with the Surface Dial:

• Revu
  • Drawboard PDF
  • Mental Canvas Player
  • Sketchable
  • Moho 12
  • Spotify
  • StaffPad
  • Word, PowerPoint, Excel (Office Win32)
  • OneNote (UWP version)
  • Windows Maps
  • Plumbago
  • Sketchpad
  • Groove Music
  • PewPew Shooter
  • Microsoft Photos
  • Paint
  • Adobe Photoshop (basic zoom support)

mmc

Here is the list so far -

Here are all the apps that work with the Surface Dial

apps that work with the Surface Dial:

• Revu
  • Drawboard PDF
  • Mental Canvas Player
  • Sketchable
  • Moho 12
  • Spotify
  • StaffPad
  • Word, PowerPoint, Excel (Office Win32)
  • OneNote (UWP version)
  • Windows Maps
  • Plumbago
  • Sketchpad
  • Groove Music
  • PewPew Shooter
  • Microsoft Photos
  • Paint
  • Adobe Photoshop (basic zoom support)

Photoshop advanced support along with Lightroom would make me very happy.

ScottyS

Agree with @kayzee . If they had it as a monitor with the base a dock for my Surface (and guaranteed forward compatibility to dock with a SP5) I'd be interested in it.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that didn't take long! Dell already have a competing product, even with the puck thingy. Looks like an interesting alternative.

Mdgstag

Microsoft knows that if they make a Surface Monitor, you'll just plug your MacBook into it. The idea is to lure you away from Mac by making a Windows computer that is cooler than a Mac. They have succeeded, in my opinion.