What's new

antivirus? dock compatible case?

qwerty53

Hi
What is the best antivirus for the device? I want it to be very strong but not effect the performance as much as possible. I got Bitdefender Total Security 2015 free after rebate. Is it good? Any other suggestions? I go to a lot of dangerous sites so windows defender might not be enough?

I need a case lie the insipid ones BUT I need the surface pro 3 dock work with it without removing the case. Plus if the rear surface pro leg works too will be good. Also light if possible. Any idea?
(by the way, I don't use the external keyboard cover from Microsoft so I don't care about that)
Much obliged.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bitdefender is one of the highest rated over the last few years... but its doubtful anything will withstand the onslaught of frequenting risky sites. Prepare your offline recovery image now.

No case will work in the dock unless its imaginary. Look at USB Docking Stations as an alternative.

OP
Q

qwerty53

Which USB one you recommend?

About Av and dangerous sites. Apple doesn't have that issue. Works fine without any Av

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm using the Targus ACP70USZ currently because it lies flat. In the past I used the Pluggable unit. Id recommend USB 3.0 and UD3900 chipset. A number of vendors have released cheaper products with the same chipset and features since I bought mine. I suspect Cable Matters and Pluggable are the same company but that's my belief. Anker seems to be popular and getting good reviews also on Amazon. There's a newer chipset coming but not sure when product will hit shelves based on the DL-5700 chipset that supports 4k resolutions.

Apple is starting to get attacked a lot more than in the past... especially iOS. its all about return on investment. If you believe otherwise you may be wearing a tinfoil hat. Speaking of which the Apple user base representing a target RICH environment may begin drawing attention with smaller numbers than was previously feasible. Research indicates Apple users generally spend more than other users so they are ripe for picking.

Last edited:

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which USB one you recommend?

About Av and dangerous sites. Apple doesn't have that issue. Works fine without any Av

And so does my surface pro 3..

And to suggest that apple computers do not get viruses is a little naïve. The difference is that with apple, they won't tell you you have a virus, because that wouldn't go very well with the image they try and put across.

Liam2349

I have to chip in on your misinformed view about viruses and such. There are two reasons you less often see viruses and the like on OSX.

The first, as above, is that Apple simply won't tell you that someone is keylogging and screen-capping you and stealing your identity, and the second is that OSX is a less worthwhile target. The reason you see less attacks on OSX is simply because Windows has a much larger install base, and if you are coming up with the latest in keylogging technology, you code it for Windows - more money for your time.

Don't be fooled into thinking Apple is better with security, because they aren't. In fact I think the founder of Kaspersky, which most people would call the best internet security suite, recently estimated Apple to be 10 years behind Microsoft in terms of security.

As for what anti virus you should use, BitDefender Total Security will cover that and some more.

kundas1

also like to add that OSX just patched a seriously big virus that got a lot of mac users that didn't even know or was aware they had it, like liam has said Apple is very secretive about viruses and stuff that are found, so the statement about Apple doesn't have that issue of viruses is misinformed and misguided... ;)