What's new

"Antimalware Service Executable" + Task Manager = high CPU load?

Cyb3rDud3

I noticed the same issue with high CPU utilisation. I've excluded the c:\Program Files\Windows Defender directory from the list of files/folders and that seems to have worked. I think it is a permissions thing where it keeps on trying to access that folder.

OP
Haldi

Haldi

I got my SP3 on thursday & noticed this straight away, found it rather annoying so followed the guide in this youtube video:

did not help!

Let's try excluding windows defender directory ^^

Edit.... or simply excluded the "Taskmgr.exe" prrocess in the list xD

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try watching with Resource monitor on the Disk tab you can see what files are being accessed... you have to be quick though. use the read/write/totals columns to sort highest activity to the top.

Jaydenmark

Bitdefender is widely regarded as a decent programme, but my experience has been that it is a resource hog, even on a plugged-in desktop, and for that reason I haven't been a fan. It appears to be the same thing I've seen previously.
When I open my task manager, I don't see an Antimalware Service running. I use Defender, which comes pre-installed and is a Microsoft product, so there's no reason for me to install another anti-virus programme on my Surface. You must have installed Antimalware Service and Bit Defender, which I haven't seen mentioned or discussed here on this topic.

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bitdefender is widely regarded as a decent programme, but my experience has been that it is a resource hog, even on a plugged-in desktop, and for that reason I haven't been a fan. It appears to be the same thing I've seen previously.
When I open my task manager, I don't see an Antimalware Service running. I use Defender, which comes pre-installed and is a Microsoft product, so there's no reason for me to install another anti-virus programme on my Surface. You must have installed Antimalware Service and Bit Defender, which I haven't seen mentioned or discussed here on this topic.
I would agree with the Bitdefender resource hog view ... although it's been a long time since I tried it.