What's new

Another SurfacePro screen bulge?

wpcoe

Oh, god. Please, no. Not again.

I had a five-month-long adventure with my Surface Pro 2017 when the screen bulged and pushed away from the frame with an apparent swollen battery.

I sit at a desk next to patio doors with vertical blinds. My SurfacePros have sat at the same location on my desk and reflect the blinds. With my SP2017 I had noticed that the vertical lines in the reflection started to bulge a while before the screen actually ripped apart from the frame.

So, when I got my SP6 I carefully examined the reflection of the blinds, and they were perfectly straight. The reflection now has a slight bulge:

sp6-screen-bulge.jpg

Those red lines are straight vertical lines I added for comparison.

Last edited:

Plantje

I think my Surface Pro 2017 has the same thing. Not to a point where the screen cones loose, but not completely flat either

OP
W

wpcoe

This is how my SP2017 ended up the day after a long trip from Thailand to Mexico:

SP2017_bulge.03.jpg

I've wondered if the air pressure changes in the planes (it took four flights to get there) was what finally made it erupt.

ScottyS

SP3 Bulge.jpg
I've had 2 iPhones bulge and come apart from swollen batteries 'cause I'd leave them plugged into to charger all night. I thought that since the Surface shuts off charging when it reaches 100% that wouldn't be an issue, but I guess it is.
Here's my SP3, exchanged for a refurbished unit 03/2016.
It's old enough, it's slow enough, can't wait to get the SP7!

Plantje

O yeah... I remember now… This was not a warranty case, was it? This is really bad!

I have to exchange mine again as well due to light bleed issues. But what really troubles me, is that in my case 3 out of 3 have this issue... and no one can tell me what I might have done wrong!

SPuser123

O yeah... I remember now… This was not a warranty case, was it? This is really bad!

I have to exchange mine again as well due to light bleed issues. But what really troubles me, is that in my case 3 out of 3 have this issue... and no one can tell me what I might have done wrong!
How did you get yours replaced? I have been using mine for around 9 months and I have a 2-year warranty. I rarely used it until recently as I prepare for exams.
The first agent told me they will replace it as it can be dangerous to see the battery explode. My fingernail can fit in between the screen. I sent them photos. Then a second agent, the next day, I spoke to told me to wait until the bulge is big enough or until it gets bigger. Told them the device overheats and they asked me to wait a few more weeks... The 2nd agent had terrible English and seems to not know how to speak on the phone clearly.

Attachments

• IMG_0470.JPG
    IMG_0470.JPG
    440.9 KB · Views: 587
  • Upper part near cam with bulge.JPG
    Upper part near cam with bulge.JPG
    620.2 KB · Views: 641

Plantje

How did you get yours replaced? I have been using mine for around 9 months and I have a 2-year warranty. I rarely used it until recently as I prepare for exams.
The first agent told me they will replace it as it can be dangerous to see the battery explode. My fingernail can fit in between the screen. I sent them photos. Then a second agent, the next day, I spoke to told me to wait until the bulge is big enough or until it gets bigger. Told them the device overheats and they asked me to wait a few more weeks... The 2nd agent had terrible English and seems to not know how to speak on the phone clearly.
I believe this is where I started: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/products/surface-devices or here: Sign in to your Microsoft account

You'll have to select your device and then fiddle around with the options until you get the possibility to send in the device.

I have the same issue like you,just saw your last seen activity and too bad you can not tell me, if you were able to resolve this issue,was it battery swollen or smth else.

claudiaobrien

Oh, god. Please, no. Not again.

I had a five-month-long adventure with my Surface Pro 2017 when the screen bulged and pushed away from the frame with an apparent swollen battery.

I sit at a desk next to patio doors with vertical blinds. My SurfacePros have sat at the same location on my desk and reflect the blinds. With my SP2017 I had noticed that the vertical lines in the reflection started to bulge a while before the screen actually ripped apart from the frame.

So, when I got my SP6 I carefully examined the reflection of the blinds, and they were perfectly straight. The reflection now has a slight bulge:

View attachment 9289

Those red lines are straight vertical lines I added for comparison.
I've had two iPhones bloat and fall apart due to bulging batteries after leaving them plugged in all night. I didn't think that would be an issue because the Surface turns off charging when it hits 100%, but I suppose it is. This is my SP3, which I switched for a reconditioned device in March of 2016. It's old enough, sluggish enough, and I can't wait to get my hands on the SP7! Check out this guide for more information.

Turbo4AWD

I think people that leave their Surface Pros plugged in to a docking station all the time or plugged into power all of the time need to have this enabled in the BIOS so that the battery doesn't start bulging like crazy...

Attachments

• semm-bl.png
    semm-bl.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 156