What's new

American Surface pro 4 in Europe

maartenvda

Hi,

I live in Belgium(Europe) and I am going to the USA next week. Since the surface pro 4 is a lot cheaper in the USA(€200 cheaper), I was planning to buy a surface pro 4 there.

However, I have read that with the surface pro 3 there were problems with the Wifi, because there are problems with the channels(Using Surface Pro 3 in Europe, no Support for Channels above 11?)

Does someone know if these problems still exist with the surface pro 4?

leeshor

I don't have a direct answer but I can tell you that a lot of other devices sold in the US don't support those channels either. This issue is not specific to the Surface.

Afy

I know a number of people using a US bought SP3 in the yUK without any Wifi issues.
You may have warranty issues, but I can comment about the state of affairs in Be.

optical1

Hi,

I live in Belgium(Europe) and I am going to the USA next week. Since the surface pro 4 is a lot cheaper in the USA(€200 cheaper), I was planning to buy a surface pro 4 there.

However, I have read that with the surface pro 3 there were problems with the Wifi, because there are problems with the channels(Using Surface Pro 3 in Europe, no Support for Channels above 11?)

Does someone know if these problems still exist with the surface pro 4?

I would seriously consider if buying in the USA is worth it.

First, the price in the USA, unlike europe, does not include taxes. Depending on what state you plan to buy in, your sales tax can be up to 10% of the purchase price. Secondly, you'll have to purchase a secondary charger or adapt if for the European plug.

Secondly, should you have any problems with your Surface, you'll likely have to send the unit back to the US for service.

In short, it may be a short term gain for a long term headache. Maybe you've already considered these topics, but I thought I'd share in case you haven't.

OP
M

maartenvda

Yeah, I have decided, I am going to buy my surface pro 4 in Belgium. With a student discount here, the surface pro 4 i5 8GB RAM here is "only" €120 more than in the States, so I won't take the risk indeed.

Cask

Here in Mexico, they don't even sell the SP4 at all. They have only sold the one and RTs, and that was at around a 30-40% premium over the US. That's why I got my SP3 and SP4 from the US. Fortunately I go there between 3 and 5 times a year, and pretty much every month someone I go travels to the USA so in case there is any exchange need it I could handle. Is a hassle I guess.

For my SP4 I happened to be in Boston by launch date so got a Best Buy preorder. Only had the Edge Color tint, video driver crash issues but they seem to have been fixed by either the 11/2 firmware update, or the TH2 builds (I updated to 10576 around the same time the firmware update was released, so not sure what was the actual fix, as I keep hearing some people still have the driver crashing but not me, now on 10586 which has been running flawlessly). Also luckily, Boston only has a 6% tax.

I also buy my iPhones in the USA, and so far the only issue I had is that I broke the screen on one of those, and here there is no Apple Store, so a friend had to take it to one in the USA to get the screen replaced.

Last edited: