What's new

Alternate Pen/Stylus for surface pro 3?

Demetrio M

Hi All, just wondering if there are any other options for pen for the surface pro 3. I know with the previous ones you could use pretty much any wacom pen,but now with n-trig this isn't the case.

Also I was wondering if somebody could tell me what the default nib that comes with the surface pro 3 pen. I understand there are a couple that come with it, some plastic nibs, and some rubber ones, so wondering if anybody knows which came on the pen by default. (the reason I ask is I went in to bestbuy, and tried the display model so just wondering what nib that could have been as I couldn't really tell). Thanks

Feoen

I highly recommend this pen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008LEKI0O

It is not only very inexpensive, but I find it feels better to use than the SP3 pen. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a OneNote button.

In terms of multiple nibs, the SP3 does not come with replacement nibs. There is only one which comes pre-installed on the pen. If you want a replacement you need to contact Microsoft.

ctitanic

I highly recommend this pen: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008LEKI0O

It is not only very inexpensive, but I find it feels better to use than the SP3 pen. Only thing I don't like is the lack of a OneNote button.

In terms of multiple nibs, the SP3 does not come with replacement nibs. There is only one which comes pre-installed on the pen. If you want a replacement you need to contact Microsoft.
That's the same one I mentioned and the one I'm using right now.

OP
D

Demetrio M

Hey thanks guys. Yeah the main reason I'm looking at the sp3 is as a drawing device, and the ONLY reason I haven't bought yet is because of limited options with the pens. It sounds like the one you guys mention comes with a hard nib-is it plastic? I'm more of a fan of the rubber nibs for drawing.. It can be difficult to get a smooth line if you're drawing slowly with a hard nib. Do you guys know if the default nib on the surface pen is plastic or rubber? And also wondering if it came with any alternate nibs. (I was under the impression it came with plastic ones and rubber ones).

edit: ah feoon, just saw where you said only one nib. Really?? And it seems they didn't do all that good job on the nibs either as all the ones at best buy were damaged. Maybe they'll do a nib upgrade in future?

ctitanic

The ones from N-trig that I have seen are all plastic. The original is softer than the other ones I have tested.

OP
D

Demetrio M

Got it. Yeah I think plastic may be better for writing-though it definitely "feels" different. I think rubber is better for drawing precisely though (like careful slow drawing). The galaxy note pro comes with a stylus with really nice rubber nibs, but the screen color accuracy is a lot worse than the sp3. I guess I'll be waiting to see what microsoft does in terms of dealing with the nibs issue. Also would be interesting to see if ntrig came out with some stylus as a seperate offering as wacom does.

ctitanic

Got it. Yeah I think plastic may be better for writing-though it definitely "feels" different. I think rubber is better for drawing precisely though (like careful slow drawing). The galaxy note pro comes with a stylus with really nice rubber nibs, but the screen color accuracy is a lot worse than the sp3. I guess I'll be waiting to see what microsoft does in terms of dealing with the nibs issue. Also would be interesting to see if ntrig came out with some stylus as a seperate offering as wacom does.
But the galaxy note uses Wacom and the Surface PRO 3 uses N-Trig. At the end, I think that what is going to happen is that Microsoft will end selling bulk quantities of nibs. Probably little bit harder nibs than the current ones.

OP
D

Demetrio M

Will be interesting to see. Especially since microsoft is big on the feels like paper aspects of the pen. Sure a lot of it has to do with the size and weight in your hand, but another huge factor is where that tip meets the glass. Harder tends to make it slide more easily. Softer resembles more what you get with paper, as when you write on paper there's some resistance from the surface. But yeah should be interesting to see. I imagine there will definitely be more alternatives in terms of pens for the sp3 in the future as well.

be77solo

As stated above, Microsoft only sends the one nib that's in the pen. Unfortunately, no different styles/feel.

But, if you contact them, they will send you replacement nibs for free, including free shipping.

EDIT: Now, why they didn't include extra nibs in the original packaging like Samsung or Wacom does, I'll never know

ipaq_101

I had my nib start to fray in a few minutes, contacted MS and they ended up sending me 3 replacement nibs.

I would happily pay $10 for a pack of 20, I use the pen often for taking notes.