What's new

Alcantara Worn

haigboardman

I bought a surface laptop back in January (3 months ago) and the right hand side of my palm rest has started to wear (see attached images) - at the moment it's not that bad but considering this is only 3 months old i find it to be excessive, whats it going to look like at 1 year old? or 2?

I got in contact with Microsoft and showed them the pictures; was told this is "normal wear", in fact see part of their response below:

"As mentioned in my previous email the keyboard alcantara material can wear over time. It's a soft material, even on hard surface material the paint can dissapear over time from it. This is how the material acts, some people can sweat a bit more then others, movement over the material like hand movement can make the material look more finished. I hope that my details where usefull for you Haig."

I find this insane - a £1250 laptop that has a wear patch after 3 months of light use.. and then get told that this is to be expected?!

Any advice on what i can do? anyone had a similar problem?

Attachments

• IMG_20180411_173650.jpg
    IMG_20180411_173650.jpg
    770.8 KB · Views: 2,125
  • IMG_20180411_173718.jpg
    IMG_20180411_173718.jpg
    828.1 KB · Views: 1,490

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome Haig,

I can understand the frustration, but at the same time I would be expecting exactly that with a keyboard of that kind of material. I get rather sweaty hands, and it was that which put me off this cover, and stuck with the one I have. Have you tried cleaning it per the instructions to see if it helps?

OP
H

haigboardman

I definitely didn't think it would hold up as well as Microsoft claimed, but I expected to see wear after around a year.. not 3 months.

I'm going to try and contact a manager at Microsoft and see what can be done. Either way I'll be selling it; I can't live with a laptop that gets permanently dirty like this.

Also, yes I've cleaned the recommended way multiple times.

Thanks.

pand4

Mine looks pretty clean, no dark spots, without having it evere cleanded, after 8 months. Maybe your skin is oily or sweaty, I don't intend it in a bad way. My brother has normal skin, but sweaty. Any controller/keyboard/mouse he uses gets dirty fast, residue composed out of his sweat and dust. I use silicone sleeves on our gamepads, which help reduce the dirt, so its neither 100% his or the materials fault. For me, alcantara is one of the most pleasent materials they could have chosen.

John2k14

Hi,
I had exactly the same issue and that annoyed me so much I had to sell the laptop!
Bought a SB2 instead, now the hinge is giving me nightmares as the left part is not aligned as the right.
MSFT could well do a laptop as good as MBP but with Surface Book2 keyboard.
Good luck with that.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk