What's new

Advice on 1440p External

SB2000

Apologies if this should be in the larger External monitor forum. It's a question and request for advice rather than a problem or issue though.

I have a 1440p 25' monitor.
I have a Surface book 2 15'

I'd like to get another 1440 p 25 monitor and extend my display to both with the SB2 lid closed.

Question 1 - is this possible?
And 2 - if so what docking station would you advise or should I get a dongle for the USB port with a couple of HDMI out ports?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

Cimmerian

This can be done very easily with the Surface Dock, however on the cheapest end you'll have to spend around $80 for a used one on eBay and 140ish brand new.

This adapter should work perfectly for your use case costing less than a used Surface Dock and significantly less than a brand new Surface Dock:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matter...1525451532&sr=8-4&keywords=usb+c+display+dock

Dongle.png

However with the Surface Dock you'd also be getting a 3.5mm audio jack, 2 extra USB ports, and 90w charging instead of 60w. Although I believe you could charge the device with the regular charger and run this dongle at the same time, less seamless than one cable for everything.

OP
S

SB2000

Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciated :) So the SB2 can handle two external monitors at 1440P at 60Ghz? Or is it only 30GHz like it is at 4k?
D

Cimmerian

Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciated :) So the SB2 can handle two external monitors at 1440P at 60Ghz? Or is it only 30GHz like it is at 4k?
D

The dongle supports two 1440p displays at 60hz, two 4k displays would run at 30hz.

I believe that the official dock was theoretically supposed to run two 4k displays at 60hz but it has issues doing so, I have never successfully run 2 4k displays from the official dock alone.

Really wish Microsoft would release a new dock that fully utilizes the capability of the new Surface Books, including a power brick big enough to keep the device from de-charging while under max load.

But yeah just to be 100% clear, either this dongle or the official Surface Dock will run two 1440p displays at 60hz.

Last edited: