What's new

Add GPS to Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use this in Metro just fine. I haven't had to disable it for WiFi to work during or afterwards. I use Google Maps and Microsoft Streets and Trips with it on my Surface Pro 2.

strollin

I've got an older Globalsat BT368 bluetooth gps that I bought used from Ebay for $20 about 5 years ago that works fine with my SP3. I use it with MS Streets & Trips 2013 software. It works fine but I actually prefer using my Android smartphone as a gps navigator in my vehicles.

bt368.jpg

yeewiz

Got a SP2. Do the BT GPS devices work with any of the Metro map apps like Here Maps or gMaps without mods? Or do I have to do a driver download? Thanks all!

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I walk complex real estate property perimeters in order to compute acreage and square footage.

yeewiz

I have a BT-368 now and am trying to install the GPSDirect software. Couple of questions:

1). Device manager before install says I have Standard serial over Bluetooth link for Com3 and Com4. To install GPSDirect do I select another com port, like Com7?

2). Can I use IP? What's the IP address to use?

3). What baud rate do I use? 38,400 or the default 9600?

Thanks for any help!

yeewiz

So I finally got the GPSDirect software installed using Com4 at 9600 baud. On the TurboIRC site, under the Windows tab, it says, "After installation, the executable is no longer needed except for testing.". What I'm finding is the BT-368 won't stay connected unless I specifically run the GPS7s64 executable. Is this what you guys are doing, or do I have a defective BT-368?

yeewiz

Thought I'd put some closure on my last post. The good news is the BT-368, after 1st installation, connects with Here Maps all the time without the need to start the GPSDirect exe every time. I didn't do anything so I guess I didn't wait long enough for the BT-368 to connect up with Here Maps in the above post. In fact, it doesn't take that long for the sync up to get done so I'm not sure why I thought there was a problem in the above post.

So bottom line is Here Maps with offline maps works great with the BT-368 and GPSDirect software. *

Oh, and WiFi works fine afterwards without any disabling.

*UPDATE 9/26/2014: Further testing indicates that the Explore tab to locate food, lodging, shopping, etc, from the left side of the map is working without need for an Internet connection.

Last edited: