What's new

Add GPS to Surface Pro or Surface Pro 2

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, and Surface Pro 3 have an onboard accelerometer, gyroscope, and digital compass. But it does not have GPS.

I've been using the GlobalSat ND-100S GPS dongle for my GPS on my Surface Pro 2 for months. When I need to track actual GPS, it works great.
Less than $30.00 from here: Amazon.com ND-100S Dongle - GPS for Surface.

Update: Also works on Surface Pro 3

An alternative is the Canmore GT-730F, with similar specs and price. Gets good reviews, but I have not tried it myself. Also less than $30.00 from here: Amazon.com Canmore GT-730F - GPS.

Both these devices work as a dongle without a USB extension cable. Older technology devices required some space between the computer and the USB dongle because of electronic interference. Though a USB extension cable is not needed, I do not like having a stiff device poking out from my Surface inviting some trouble. So a short USB extension cord comes in handy.
nd100S_GPS.jpgshort_USB_extension.jpgCanmore_GT-730F.jpg

Last edited:

benjitek

...I do not like having a stiff device poking out from my Surface inviting some trouble. So a short USB extension cord comes in handy.
Back in the day when I had a Pocket PC I had a great GPS gizmo as well, but it worked via Bluetooth -- is there nothing like that now that works with the SP2? I'd rather not use a USB one at all unless that's all that is compatible.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Back in the day when I had a Pocket PC I had a great GPS gizmo as well, but it worked via Bluetooth -- is there nothing like that now that works with the SP2? I'd rather not use a USB one at all unless that's all that is compatible.

There are many Bluetooth GPS devices available. I used one with a mini Sony PC about ten years ago. Power consumption is generally an issue, though, so plugging in somewhere nearby to operate or recharge is necessary.

Here is the GlobalSat BT-368i, available for about $60 from here: Amazon.com - GlobalSat BT-368i.

GlobalSat_BT-368i.jpg

Wayne Orwig

I bought Microsoft Streets and trips for about $30, it included a USB GPS receiver. I like MS Streets & Trips for route planning, but I usually export the routes to my phone to actually use them. I attach my phone to the handlebar on my motorcycle. The tablet is a bit too large for that. :eek:mg:

Yeah, there should be an app that lets you use your phone's GPS.

Already done. Run "Symarctic ExtGPS" on and Android device, and it can be connected to by the Surface Pro. Instant GPS.

Tsurugaya

Does Bing maps support GPS coordinates? Excellent tip, wish there were better search capabilities in Google Play, which is kind of embarrassing for a search company.

snc_cam

Does anyone know if the above item can be used in a Surface RT or if there is any USB or BT device that will work with it?

TheIVJackal

Awesome! Looking forward into researching these GPS attachments more. Going to Europe for a few months and would love to have something like this if I get a little lost... Also hoping I can find a Driving App that gives me 1/4 mile and acceleration times :D If anyone know of one, let me know! I know they exist on Apple and maybe Android platforms but I haven't seen anything for ours.
- Aaron

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! Looking forward into researching these GPS attachments more. Going to Europe for a few months and would love to have something like this if I get a little lost... Also hoping I can find a Driving App that gives me 1/4 mile and acceleration times :D If anyone know of one, let me know! I know they exist on Apple and maybe Android platforms but I haven't seen anything for ours.
- Aaron

Hey TheIVJackal,

Try this app: NMEA Compass
Speedboaters use it, amongst others.
The software is free. Donations accepted.

It is for freedom that Christ set us free.

snc_cam

I have recently downloaded the HereNow maps for the RT, not sure if it will work on the Pro or Pro2. However, what I like about HereNow is that you can download maps to run when not connected to a WIFI.

Steve

pawel

Hi sharpcolorado, I have a question for you; do you use the GlobalSat ND-100S GPS dongle in Metro style apps? or just as a GPS locator on your ms surface? because I'm having trouble figuring out how to read from a virtual com port in a metro style app, the System.Management namespace doesn't seem to be available in Windows 8 style apps, any thoughts?