What's new

Access Security

glr

My surface 3 will be used for work and will contain sensitive information. I plan to invoke bitlocker to protect the SSD. But access control will be critical too. It seems that Face Recognition would provide a nice balance between effectiveness and convenience but that may not be ready for prime time.

On my soon to be replaced laptop, I have enabled Bitlocker's USB authentication. So it requires a thumb drive with the bitlocker access key. Absent that, it will not boot.

I am wondering what you more experienced folks are doing to protect access to your data on this very portable device.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The SP3 is Bitlockered right OOB, I personally use a Very Strong Password (no less than 8 characters and must include all of the following upper/lower, numeric and at least one non-alpha numeric character). For Data Storage I use OneDrive for Business for work related items and OneDrive Personal for my personal data.

ctitanic

If security is that important then do not save anything in the SDD card. Better use onedrive.

unruledboy

For quick access purpose (without network or internet data limit etc), there is software to encrypt a whole folder and it is password protected, sorry, I can't remember the name of the software I used to use.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
For quick access purpose (without network or internet data limit etc), there is software to encrypt a whole folder and it is password protected, sorry, I can't remember the name of the software I used to use.

Its called EFS - the Encrypted File System, if you are going to use it Encrypt at the Folder Level as everything in the Folder is Encrypted.

OP
G

glr

I was thinking Bitlocker will be sufficient to achieve the necessary file encryption. Based on the responses so far, it seems that a strong password is my best option, at least until reliable Face Recognition becomes available. I may continue the USB authentication too.

Finally, I am thinking of adding an unprotected but limited user so that should my computer be stolen, the thief can still get online and be detected by LoJack.