What's new

Solved accelerometer sensor not working

tjdream

With the auto rotate turned on the screen goes to landscaped flipped and will not rotate when I turn the tablet. I've gone to the settings screen and tried locking and unlocking when unlocked it will flip to landscaped flipped. I have to go in the screen resolution settings and change it to landscape then un check the auto rotate book or it will flip back to landscape flipped no matter how the tablet is orientated.
I have tried a refresh and reset to new not saving any thing and still getting the same problem.
The keyboard cover also stopped working at the same time it started doing this but my keyboard cover will still work on a friends older sp2

What are my options how do I fix this?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Look in Device Manager and look to see if I2C or Accelerometer is showing an exclamation mark, if so uninstall the device and then scan for Hardware changes and allow the Surface to reinstall the device.

OP
T

tjdream

I did not see a exclamation mark anywhere in Device Manager.
I did not see "I2C or Accelerometer" what are they listed under?
In Device Manager under Sensors I have already tried uninstalling the "Simple Device Orientation sensor" then restarted and let it re install it. Was no help still having the same problem.

If it makes a difference I have a 15 256 Surface Pro 3 still running win 8.1 I don't like win 10 and was not planning to upgrade unless I have no choice.

David

OP
T

tjdream

Adapter String: HD Graphics 4400
Intel corporation
Driver Date 3/16/2015
Driver version 10 18 14 4170

Johnny365

Click on Notification bubble on task tray. And make sure Rotation Lock is not highlighted (it was when I was on Tablet mode)

OP
T

tjdream

Right now I have the rotation lock on to keep it upright If I unlock it the screen rotates to Landscape Flipped mode and will not rotate no matter weather I hold it up right rotate to portrait either side or upside down In order to use it I either have to hold the tablet upside down in landscape or change the settings to landscape and lock it so it will not auto rotate + the Keyboard has stopped working. Only think I can think is maybe the sensor has gotten stuck thinking it's upside down.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Adapter String: HD Graphics 4400
Intel corporation
Driver Date 3/16/2015
Driver version 10 18 14 4170
That is an older driver, you're missing a few updates. Also as johnny state above make sure Rotation Lock is enabled....

OP
T

tjdream

What driver do I need? How do I get it to update? I've tried clicking on the update driver button under Device manager and I keep getting
"The Best drive Software for your device is already installed"
"Windows has determined the drive software for your device is up to date."

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Are you missing any Firmware updates pending? You can also download the newer reference driver directly from Intel but it may impact battery life.

OP
T

tjdream

no updates pending
what is the latest firmware update date and how do I check to see if I have it

the problem started after auto updating on 10-27-15 carried to work next day and when I turned it on the screen turned upside down. it came on and started with the Surface logo right side up then the screen flickered and everything was upside down. So I went to resolution settings and it said I was in Landscape (Flipped) mode so I changed it back to Landscape mode and kept new settings. closed the screen and opened file explorer and the screen flickered and went back to Landscape (flipped ) mode. no matter which way I rotated the tablet it stays in landscape (Flipped) mode. to use the tablet I had to go to resolution settings and un check the box that sais (Allow the screen to auto rotate) then change it to landscape and keep new settings. But like this the keyboard cover will not work (yet it works fine on another tablet)