What's new

A new age - Windows 10 on ARM devices

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reference These are the first Windows 10 ARM laptops

These are the first Windows 10 ARM laptops from HP and Asus.

Qualcomm and Microsoft announced the first Windows 10 devices with ARM-based processors will be arriving early next year. HP, Asus, and Lenovo will all be launching laptops and convertibles with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 processor in them, with prices expected to range from $600 to $800.

the new Windows 10 ARM computers don’t look hugely different from their Intel counterparts. They all support standard Windows 10 features, such as a touchscreen, Windows Hello, and pen input. HP Envy X2 looks just like the Spectre X2 detachable already available, while Asus’ NovaGo is a standard laptop that is visually indistinguishable from the rest of its lineup. Both models will launch with Windows 10 S, but can be upgraded to the full Windows 10 experience.

Just whish I could get one now.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was reading the engadget articles yesterday. The dimensions of these things are just amazing considering they are running windows. I really hope MS make something themselves with this. An S3 at half the thickness etc would be pretty sweet!

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
With Snapdragon 835 single core speed faster than the Surface 2 multi core speed and multicore speed more than 3x the Surface 2 speed, the performance of native Apps (i.e. Most everything) should be very good.

I would love to have this on my Surface 2, but, alas, that is just a pipe dream. Will be looking to upgrade next year.

This looks very promising.

Wevenhuis

A surface 4 with windows 10 on ARM would be interesting. I wonder how it would perform compared to atom? I'm worried about project centennials apps performance on windows 10 om arm. Spotify project centennial is not a great and snappy user experience thusfar on my surface pro.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
A surface 4 with windows 10 on ARM would be interesting. I wonder how it would perform compared to atom? I'm worried about project centennials apps performance on windows 10 om arm. Spotify project centennial is not a great and snappy user experience thusfar on my surface pro.
From what little I've seen so far the emulator is not achieving the promised performance YET. I guess they gave themselves 4 more months to work on it. The native performance should be much better than an Atom which would be for the Browser, Office, etc. a goodly portion of what's needed.