What's new

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It has been a month since the Surface Book became available. My i7/16/512 + 512SD has been used intensely at home, at work, and on three trips. The SB3 serves as my production machine for geophysics research, and entertainment device for music, live TV, streaming video, and for games with the kids.

Added Accessories:
- 512GB SD
- Spare colored Surface Pen 4
- Vinyl skin from DecalGirl
- Dock at home and at work
- Automobile 12v charger (same as I use with Surface Pro 3)

Pen use is up dramatically from the Surface Pro 3, probably because the pen stays handy, magnetically attached to the Clipboard, and also because the screen dimensions are more comfortable.

Clipboard use (Tablet mode or with keyboard folded back) is also up dramatically. About 2/3 of the time I leave the keyboard attached and folded, because the wedge-shape feels good when holding from the hinge - like a book.

Stand or lap use (screen detached backwards and tilted towards keyboard) is very comfortable and stable on a desktop. Worked much better than my SP3/kickstand when on a flight and on my lap at the airport.

Performance of the computer and battery are very good. I sometimes connect the charger or dock directly to the clipboard.
- Could not ask for better WiFi connectivity at home, in the office, VPN, and from public networks
- Wireless display adapter works very well - much more responsive than my SP3
- Clipboard detach and re-attach have never failed.

At the time of this writing, performance remains hindered by the occasional and well-known display driver error, which recovers itself after about 5 seconds.
( I can make this occur by repeatedly selecting large volumes of text with the shift and arrow keys while using Edge Browser, scrolling the screen pages. This suggests error is related to bus synchronization, or maybe Edge.)

Some screen shots.

Screenshot (83).png

All my apps are available with shortcut tiles. Arrangement into categories allow them to be located quickly. Two pages is not bad. And having apps as tiles makes them easier to launch if I happen to be in Tablet mode.
Screenshot (84).png

Screenshot (90).png

Edge Browser in 'Dark' mode with a local home page and search box (Internet not required to display). To do this yourself:
HowTo - Open Edge to a Fast, Quiet, Custom, Reiable Home Page of Your Own | Microsoft Surface Forums

Screenshot (82).png

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Battery life improved after the first few days. I now get about 3:15 with the Clipboard and 9:45 with the Base Unit attached. I am guessing the improvement came from two things:
1. Some Windows Updates.
2. Allowed the battery to completely drain, then charge fully. Break-in ("run-in")?

Wayne Orwig

I'm guessing that you are using less than the recommended 200% display size setting. Don't you find the font in some apps way too small? I have some Java based apps that I run that are already way too small.

geraldem

Battery life improved after the first few days. I now get about 3:15 with the Clipboard and 9:45 with the Base Unit attached. I am guessing the improvement came from two things:
1. Some Windows Updates.
2. Allowed the battery to completely drain, then charge fully. Break-in ("run-in")?

wow, not even getting close to that with the base. Getting about 5 hours on average. This is with basic web browsing (IE) and office. nothing to much to tax the processor.

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
During the day, I allow the Surface Book to put itself to sleep. Display is set to 15 minutes on battery. I generally keep the sound muted.

I've noticed that when traveling, similar to my iPhone, when WiFi reception is poor, battery life suffers.

johnfrisco

View attachment 7370

All my apps are available with shortcut tiles. Arrangement into categories allow them to be located quickly. Two pages is not bad.
View attachment 7369

View attachment 7373

Edge Browser in 'Dark' mode with a local home page and search box (Internet not required to display). To do this yourself:
HowTo - Open Edge to a Fast, Quiet, Custom, Reiable Home Page of Your Own | Microsoft Surface Forums

View attachment 7371

Your screenshots remind of AOL! I can't believe how ugly Win 8 & 10 are compared to Win 7. Microsoft took out all of the eye candy just so their Surface line would run decent.

JBCF

Wow! Windows 7 as the pinnacle of design? Hey johnfrisco, did you go to the same school as Matias Duarte?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Back on topic:

Two weeks after receiving the Surface Book, I physically took it to a Microsoft Store to purchase the Microsoft Complete protection. Store associates inspected the Book and its serial number, then registered my purchase.