What's new

A little nervous - need advice on new purchase

OP
S

SamBB

IS there some deal where I can get $200 off? I am faculty at an educational university. I have seen 10% off, but not $200 off

kundas1

Idont know anything about scripts and such; I just need the device to work for wifi and MS office, and i want to buy it for portability. Perhaps this isn't possible to be done reliably?

Is the i3 any slower at MS office than the i5? Thanks.

and why are you saying this isn't possible to be done reliably? what are you talking about?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I may have had a wifi issue once but otherwise not. This probably depends on the router you use and the degree of compatibility between the two or it may be something else, either way it's not a universal problem that everyone has. I don't know how you predict if there will be a problem but there is not an overwhelming outcry so it seems to be affecting a small percentage of users.

Telstar1948

For the OP, I feel that, as has been said here, there are a small percentage of users experiencing various issues with SP3's ... but that goes for other tablets and laptops. My personal opinion is that most buyers of SP3's have very good experiences.

In my case, very shortly after getting mine I noticed it losing Wi-Fi connectivity when waking from sleep. I decided to bite the bullet and refreshed my SP3 since I wasn't real far into installing the software I use. It hasn't missed a beat since, and I've not had any other issues with mine. Before the refresh the only issue I had was the Wi-Fi issue, so sometimes you're going to get something not quite right with any device. Sometimes it's simply a software issue as mine obviously was, but sometimes hardware is the problem so it can be exchanged.

Anyway, I think you'll like the SP3. I certainly do and it's my desktop/laptop/tablet...other than my Windows Phone it's my primary device for office and home.

chrsb

Diane Story

I am both a windows and a mac user.
I am looking at the surface exclusively for MS office use and note taking.
I am a business user.
I don't need games, etc.
Wifi reliability is absolutely critical

I have an iPad, and I like it very much for entertainment, but not a fan for hard core working with word, outlook, excel, ppt.

I have a pc laptop and mac laptop those are for the office

I would buy the surface for mobility reasons. (meetings, easy to carry, i have 3 offices, etc.)

A few things
1. Do I need an i5? cost isn't a factor, but don't want to "over buy" -- my use is 99% office (outlook is very big for me)/internet
2. How, really, are the wifi issues? I must be able to wake from sleep and work with wifi
3. A case is important because I am so mobile. For my iPads/phones, I use an otter box. What would be similar, but not too heavy?

Thanks
Just be sure that if you get it to get a carrying case, if you are going to be taking this around to meetings. These surface pros are really expensive, and you would hate to accidentally drop it. I use this amcase sleeve for mine.

Queenofmycastle

I use my i5 256gb for MS Office, planning and surfing. I love it. I've had it for about 6 weeks and have no regrets! I haven't had WiFi issues except my Cozi app has said I'm offline but internet explorer be working fine. I bought the extended warranty, type cover, and a leather case that holds the pen on outside. I couldn't be happier.

I've got the i5 256gb surface , use it for browsing net , doin time sheets etc in work and watching TV series etc off HD been fantastic and occasional gaming

Been perfect can get a little hot when gaming etc , but never been slow performance wise

Best thing I've bought tech wise in ages