What's new

8.1 will have tutorials built in...

mitchellvii

All I can say is why didn't Windows 8 have this? A brand new way of computing with almost no help provided? Who the hell at MS makes these insane decisions? I can just see the meeting now. The young new developer at MS says, "Don't you think we should add some tutorials?" and the wise Product Developments Manager says, "Oh no my young Padiwan, Windows 8 is completely intuitive and we don't need no stinkin' tutorials."

New Windows 8.1 build reveals built-in tutorial and tips | Microsoft - CNET News

P.S., I was standing in line for Geek Squad at BestBuy and the woman in front of me was complaining about her new Windows 8 laptop. She said she "hated it because she can't make it do anything". And there you have the entire problem with Windows 8. Most of us are technical and can figure out how something works. The average idiot consumer is dumbfounded.

Last edited:

machistmo

Well its a major departure from the norm and if you have a non-touch device its not intuitive at all. If you have a touch device its still less than intuitive. A short tutorial would have served them well. Why they felt the need to release Windows 8 back in October of 2012 in the state it was in then is still beyond me. They cannot have expected that the Enterprise would want or need or even consider adopting this OS at this stage of the game. XP support doesnt go away until 2014 and Windows 7 support is good until what? 2020? Just does not make sense that they rushed all this stuff to market only to have it fail so miserably.

Lolvo

Oh c'mon, if they were included, there would be no room for the hundreds of "Windows 8 Tutorial/Shortcuts!" apps that populate the Store.

How else would they hit projected "app production" numbers? &_&

OP
mitchellvii

mitchellvii

What we REALLY need is a talking paperclip!

[video=youtube;3G_uCbKoG5A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G_uCbKoG5A[/video]

"Clippy" was so hated and abused at the time that this may be the reason MS didn't add any tutorials to Windows 8.

Telstar1948

I think I just hated Clippy because the hardware wasn't the best and he seemed to just add to the slow motion…haven't thought about him in many years…

Nuspieds

All I can say is why didn't Windows 8 have this? A brand new way of computing with almost no help provided? Who the hell at MS makes these insane decisions? I can just see the meeting now. The young new developer at MS says, "Don't you think we should add some tutorials?" and the wise Product Developments Manager says, "Oh no my young Padiwan, Windows 8 is completely intuitive and we don't need no stinkin' tutorials."

New Windows 8.1 build reveals built-in tutorial and tips | Microsoft - CNET News

P.S., I was standing in line for Geek Squad at BestBuy and the woman in front of me was complaining about her new Windows 8 laptop. She said she "hated it because she can't make it do anything". And there you have the entire problem with Windows 8. Most of us are technical and can figure out how something works. The average idiot consumer is dumbfounded.
I also find this baffling, because it is a touch device with all sorts of gestures for commands.

They didn't even have to go through the "trouble" of including them in the OS; rather, they could've had a site with all these tutorials and make them downloadable.

I have found myself wondering how to do certain things and for a touch device, it is better to see a video tutorial than to read a step-by-step procedure; the latter works well for desktop/keyboard-based interfaces, but not touch-based interfaces.

pallentx

This should help a lot. Hopefully, they aren't those one-time-play things you get while setting up Windows. Everyone just ignores those in their excitement to get things going. They need to be there as a reference when you really need them.

demandarin

Its great they going to include it. I had downloaded the real user manual from MS for surface(PDF file). I also purchased digital copies of Windows 8 for Dummies and Microsoft Surface for dummies. Both were on sale and very detailed. EVen more so than MS own manual. Its a great read to get to know your way around the device and windows 8. Tells you everything.