What's new

200GB Free Skydrive for 2 years only good if you buy from Microsoft direct?

godson594

So everything i've seen from Microsoft says you get 2 years free bla bla, but I need to buy from Bestbuy to use my no interest card. I asked about 10 people from M$ and Bestbuy and nobody knew an answer... I called a Microsoft call center and they told me Skydrive and Skype for free 2 years only applied if I bought with them!?

Arggg

I am hoping that's not true.

Anyone else have any insight?

Dim-Ize

Wow. Totally missed this info! I read on Best Buy when I pre-ordered that I got 2 years free SkyDrive while Skype free international calls was listed as 1 year. Now that's not listed on the pre-order site any longer. Surely that cannot be the case - forcing those benefits from MS Store as exclusive. While I'm certainly capable of being paranoid - I have a strong belief that these two promotional items are available regardless of channel purchase.

oion

I went to the most obvious source of information... On the official MS preorder page, the #3 footnote says "See www. skydrive. com/surface for terms and conditions."

....Except that link circled back to the preorder page.

jnjroach! Tell the Surface team to get it together! :p Add a whipcrack for good measure.

OP
G

godson594

Wow. Totally missed this info! I read on Best Buy when I pre-ordered that I got 2 years free SkyDrive while Skype free international calls was listed as 1 year. Now that's not listed on the pre-order site any longer. Surely that cannot be the case - forcing those benefits from MS Store as exclusive. While I'm certainly capable of being paranoid - I have a strong belief that these two promotional items are available regardless of channel purchase.

I felt like the lady on phone was trying to get a sale out of me too which made it even worse. She said I can go ahead and pre order for you now so you get it.... Made me suspicious...

I'm literally trying to move all my Apple stuff to Microsoft - Surface would replace Macbook air/iPad/Wacom tablet - Xboxone to replace AppleTV and when I can get rid of my iPhone5 I like that Nokia1020 -

It's been a rough start so far, everything from dealing with Bestbuy, to the people in the actual MicroSoft store to the Microsoft phone people. Makes me wonder if i'm doing the right thing.

oion

I felt like the lady on phone was trying to get a sale out of me too which made it even worse. She said I can go ahead and pre order for you now so you get it.... Made me suspicious...

I'm literally trying to move all my Apple stuff to Microsoft - Surface would replace Macbook air/iPad/Wacom tablet - Xboxone to replace AppleTV and when I can get rid of my iPhone5 I like that Nokia1020 -

It's been a rough start so far, everything from dealing with Bestbuy, to the people in the actual MicroSoft store to the Microsoft phone people. Makes me wonder if i'm doing the right thing.

I suppose because I place so little value in a temporary bonus (the SkyDrive thing will eventually fall to an annual fee, and I plan on keeping my devices for around 5 years), this particular deal had no bearing on my choice. But it's true, the details of these things really must be accurate and readily available; it's shocking that one of MS' official sites (the Canadian one?) had a terrible typo about the max MicroSDXC capacity; stated 2GB when it should've been 64GB+. Un-frickin-believable, really. :(

OP
G

godson594

I suppose because I place so little value in a temporary bonus (the SkyDrive thing will eventually fall to an annual fee, and I plan on keeping my devices for around 5 years), this particular deal had no bearing on my choice. But it's true, the details of these things really must be accurate and readily available; it's shocking that one of MS' official sites (the Canadian one?) had a terrible typo about the max MicroSDXC capacity; stated 2GB when it should've been 64GB+. Un-frickin-believable, really. :(

It just bugs me - I watch the Keynote live and am genuinely excited and then Panos or whatever his name is says EVERYONE who buys a Surface will get Skydrive free for 2 years, to a (newcomer) that sounds awesome... But then to find out its only true if you buy from them seems like he wasn't so truthful... Maybe i'm nuts.

oion

It just bugs me - I watch the Keynote live and am genuinely excited and then Panos or whatever his name is says EVERYONE who buys a Surface will get Skydrive free for 2 years, to a (newcomer) that sounds awesome... But then to find out its only true if you buy from them seems like he wasn't so truthful... Maybe i'm nuts.

It's entirely possible that you don't need to buy direct from MS, but the Powers That Be who decided the deal terms in the first place lost several links of communication down the chain towards publication. There's still incorrect information about various things floating around out there, too. Not to mention the web page itself that's supposed to contain the actual terms leads to nowhere. Nice, MS.

Or just wait until the things hit live and the information should be actually there (not that stupid cyclical preorder business). We're only a few weeks out, and hopefully MS won't have the overproduction/understock problems from the first gens. But in all practicality, if 200GB of free temporary storage is all that stands between you and preordering at Best Buy, you're probably better off looking at a different device, you know (one with more built-in storage would be a start). ;)

OP
G

godson594

It's entirely possible that you don't need to buy direct from MS, but the Powers That Be who decided the deal terms in the first place lost several links of communication down the chain towards publication. There's still incorrect information about various things floating around out there, too. Not to mention the web page itself that's supposed to contain the actual terms leads to nowhere. Nice, MS.

Or just wait until the things hit live and the information should be actually there (not that stupid cyclical preorder business). We're only a few weeks out, and hopefully MS won't have the overproduction/understock problems from the first gens. But in all practicality, if 200GB of free temporary storage is all that stands between you and preordering at Best Buy, you're probably better off looking at a different device, you know (one with more built-in storage would be a start). ;)

Nope that doesn't determine what I buy but it would be a nice little perk. Financially it's easier for me to go to Bestbuy and purchase with my BB card because I can do no interest for 18months. I thought Skydrive would be nice when/if I get the Nokia 1020 (I take a ton of pictures and this would be a nice backup)

I'm getting it no matter what... I tried to pre order at Bestbuy but they couldnt figure it out... (I made another thread on that non-sense)

kristalsoldier

Not just the Canadian site, but also the UK site - insofar as I checked. I share your sentiments on this. It's unbelievable that MS messes up these things. Makes me wonder sometimes as to whether MS understands the value of a standardized informational campaign to the big bad world especially when they (1) are striving to be a credible devices and services c0ompany and (2) they are in the midst of launching what may be 0ne their most critical devices in the Mobile Era!!!! Really makes me wonder!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The last Surface had a SkyDrive offer as well, it was only for 3GB of SkyDrive Storage, but the offer was in the box along with other documentation. Best Buy unfortunately is only as good as they force their Blue Shirts to go through the training MS provides.

kristalsoldier

The last Surface had a SkyDrive offer as well, it was only for 3GB of SkyDrive Storage, but the offer was in the box along with other documentation. Best Buy unfortunately is only as good as they force their Blue Shirts to go through the training MS provides.

Strange! I did not get the 3GB offer in my box and I got it directly from MS!!!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't on my Pre-Order or my wife's bought on launch day but it was in my son's which we bought a month later from the MS Store in Seattle.