What's new

1920x1080 or 2560x1440 monitor?

ScottyS

I have the Dell U2713H which is 2560X1440 and use it as the sole monitor when I'm home and using the SP3 as a desktop computer (wireless keyboard and mouse).
If I connect it while the SP3 is on or in standby the icons and screen text is a little bigger than you'd expect or at least bigger than I want (you may want it that way).
If I connect it while the SP3 is shutdown and then boot, or if I restart, it comes on with the icon size and text size I want. A minor issue, actually. I have scaling set to 100%.

I love the 2560x1440 resolution. The SP3 resolution is close to this, I could never have it dropped to 1920x1080.

OP
G

GmC

Thanks for your answer. I would also buy one with higher resolution but im short on money.

Can somebody write their experience with 1920x1080 monitor?

agt499

I've got a couple of Dell 24[something]s which are 1920x1080.
If you are running Win10, you can now set the scaling level independently for each display, meaning that I have the SP3 internal display at 150% scaling, with the externals at 100% scaling, so things are about the same size -that is menu and toolbar items don't end up too big on one display or too small on the internal display, as they used to on Win8.1.
So you can set your preferences per-monitor, and Windows remembers them. That's very good news: the thing that hasn't changed is that you really need to log out, then back in again, before all applications are totally happy.
If I just dock and carry on working, there are some things that have fuzzy text or or other anomalies.
It doesn't worry me much as I typically dock when I'm about to settle for a bit, but it's not the seamless wonder-demo that it could be.
(also I'd note that my wife -we share the dock - never logs out on docking, and the anomalies don't seem to bug her at all, but her eyesight isn't great)

Back to your original question, either resolution will work fine, as I suspect you will choose to log out/in for general reliability.
It comes down to preference or budget - given the option now, I'd always choose the higher res if drivers and budget allowed.

dstrauss

I've got two Acer K272HUKL (2560 x 1440 27") connected to the new dock, and it is just AWESOME. Any 2560 x 1440 is far superior to 1080. There is just no pixelization (for my old eyes) and I set the SP3 to 250% and the Acers to 150%, and all is great. If you don't want to do the dock, you can daisy chain the two monitors to the mini-displayport on the SP3, but on occasion it would lose connection to one or both in the daisy chain and I had to reset the whole setup. Using the dual mini-displayports on the new dock has been far more stable than daisy chain, with the GREAT added benefit of being able to leave my SP3 in fully reclined mode for note taking or watching web streams.

I am shocked how much this has upped the value of my SP3.

Sid Gup12

Slight deviation from your original resolutions; I recently switched from a 3 monitor setup to a a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 with my SP3 Pro driving it over DP. It works flawlessly with no scaling issues or any lags. Crisp >4K image and *plenty* of real estate.

See attached picture. I have been really enjoying it.

Same as this: Amazon.com: Samsung 34-Inch Curved Screen LED-Lit Monitor S34E790C: Computers & Accessories

I got it over black friday for about ~$650 no tax.

They have these at MSFT stores connected to surfaces; give it a try. You will be duly impressed :)

P.S.: The curve actually works very well for a monitor (as opposed to a TV). I am able to multitask and withWin 10's multi desktop; I am not at all missing my 3 monitor setup.

Edit: Though I went with the somewhat expensive 34-inch; the cheaper 27-inch also looked great in person (but would instead replace a 2-monitor workflow): Amazon.com: curved monitor

Attachments

• 20151221_201412.jpg
    20151221_201412.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 801

qwst

Slight deviation from your original resolutions; I recently switched from a 3 monitor setup to a a 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 with my SP3 Pro driving it over DP. It works flawlessly with no scaling issues or any lags. Crisp >4K image and *plenty* of real estate.

See attached picture. I have been really enjoying it.

Same as this: Amazon.com: Samsung 34-Inch Curved Screen LED-Lit Monitor S34E790C: Computers & Accessories

I got it over black friday for about ~$650 no tax.

They have these at MSFT stores connected to surfaces; give it a try. You will be duly impressed :)

P.S.: The curve actually works very well for a monitor (as opposed to a TV). I am able to multitask and withWin 10's multi desktop; I am not at all missing my 3 monitor setup.

Edit: Though I went with the somewhat expensive 34-inch; the cheaper 27-inch also looked great in person (but would instead replace a 2-monitor workflow): Amazon.com: curved monitor

Bumping an old thread. Do you this have this set-up? How's it working for you?