What's new

100% wifi battery usage in connected standby

RichStant

Hi,

Just got a Surface 3, windows 10. Have all the latest firmware & windows updates. Everything works fine, however when I put the device to sleep, the battery is still used quite heavily. Using powercfg /sleepstudy, I see that the Avastar wireless is responsible & is in use 100% of the time during sleep. I don't see lots of other threads with this problem - am I alone? Or is this a buggy wifi driver issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OP
R

RichStant

Please don't move it, it was a typo - should just be surface 3, not pro! Have edited the original post to correct the error...

leeshor

Thread moved.

Something is trying to run, perform some activity, and hasn't had a chance to complete it. My suggestion for at least a little while would be to turn it off instead of putting it into sleep. You could also tell it to turn off WiFi while sleeping. Bottom line, something is trying its best to complete a task.

OP
R

RichStant

It's been another day, I've tried either turn off, hibernate or connected standby, and I'm still getting huge wifi use in connected standby. Drilling down, it's always NDIS that's using the battery. Any idea what this indicates is the culprit?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried uninstalling the wireless driver in Device Manager? It will automatically reinstall. sometimes that helps.

OP
R

RichStant

Tried that thanks, no difference. Although I did find that disconnecting from the wireless solves the problem!